Sunday, July 13, 2014

Focus '14-Modeling Jesus-Entry #26


Hi Friends!

The photo above includes members of our family (Daniel and Grace) as they recently ministered in Mexico on a short-term mission trip.The home in the background was built to bless a family and as you can see in the picture, the family and ministry team are pretty pumped about the new home.

The leaders of this mission work are John and Jane Ray and the homes are built through YWAM (Youth with a Mission) where they have served Christ internationally for many years. Specifically, the homes are built as part of Olivia's Basket to honor the Ray's youngest of four daughters (Olivia) who died tragically doing ministry a few years ago.

The Scripture passage I asked my children to read and study each morning and evening of this trip was Philippians 2:1-18 and my prayer was that the attitude of Christ described therein would shine through them as stars as they held out the word of God to others (verse 16). As I prayed that prayer throughout each day of their trip, I was subsequently drawn to another Scripture which I have posted below.

Matthew 9:35-37 (NIV)

The Workers Are Few

35 Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38 Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field.”

Would you join me in looking up and around and asking the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest field? If your heart is moved with compassion by those you see in need of Jesus, would you carefully consider God's Will for your personal role in answering this prayer?

There aren't many workers in the picture above but  much work was done in a short period of time through the power of Christ to the glory of God. How much more can be done through you and me and the church in reaching others with the compassion of Christ in our lifetimes? 

Friends, I know God wants more from me and I believe He wants more from all of us...He wants us to consistently have the attitude, the compassion of His Son Jesus for lost souls...He wants us to consistently shine like stars in the universe which is ripe and ready for harvest. 

As we pray about that, let's keep one another posted about all the ways that God chooses to answer that prayer through each of us. May He continue to bless Olivia Ray's legacy as her family faithfully lives to bless others with the compassion of Christ in her memory. Thank you John and Jane and family.  http://www.oliviasbasket.org/why-we-do-what-we-do/#
 
God's Peace,
Jeff (and Carolyn and family)

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful opportunity for Daniel and Grace!

    And what an awesome, sobering call to each of us. Jesus gave everything - up to and including His life - to bring sinners to salvation. If we call ourselves Christ-followers, how can we justify doing less? And yet it is too easy to do - take my eyes off Jesus and I go in the wrong direction - I sink beneath the surface of the waves. O me of little faith!

    Yet it is not in my power that I live - Christ has called me. It is not I that live, but Christ in me. And that makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete